Forlorn.of.thee (fa'lo:n ŭv thē), p, my only strength and stay,forlorn of thee, whither shall I betake me, where subsist?
Paradise Lost by John Milton
.

Wednesday, July 26, 2023

University Days


I finally made it into university. The last refuge before going on into the real world, that dreaded place where I have to fight monsters, earn money and pay bills. 

Studies were good, no exams in the first two years, only had to pass one set of exams in the final third year. That meant I could have fun and postpone all the hard work until the very end. Rather than doing a three-year marathon, I could do a last minute sprint. 

I met a lady (actually, it was the other way round, she found me, lost during one of the student society dances). We were both virgins and I remember our first time, there were so many first times. It was the first time I was in love, really in love, the first time I had someone to care for and care about, the first time I felt jealousy, the first time we fought. We made promises and talked marriage.

Sex was wonderful, doing odd things, at odd times, in odd places. We experimented and learnt. I was a very quick learner!

She was smart, studying law, me an economics dropout. After graduation, I stayed on in the little country town and found a job, she went to London to be a barrister. 

She was, after all the smart and ambitious one.


No comments: