Forlorn.of.thee (fa'lo:n ŭv thē), p, my only strength and stay,forlorn of thee, whither shall I betake me, where subsist?
Paradise Lost by John Milton
.

Wednesday, July 19, 2023

Pen Pal

 

Wonder if anyone knows what a pen pal is? There was a time before the internet became all pervasive, before emails, before FB, WhatsApp or social media, people actually wrote letters to each other. 

I had a pen pal. Threw my name and address into a pen pal introduction service (think sanitised Tinder via mail) run by some UN agency. She was a girl residing in the US, which was on the other side of the world.

A letter arrived, I was excited. Her handwriting was immaculate, all those curves, commas and full stops. We exchanged letters, then photos and I got even more excited. This was a time before Nigerian scams and fake profiles. 

When I moved to the UK for schooling, the distance between us halved. I made plans to attend FAU and even took the SAT exams. For years, we continued writing, sharing laughter, how much of a pain parents are, our teachers and our lives. 

What happened? I broke her heart, but that is a story for another time.


No comments: