Forlorn.of.thee (fa'lo:n ŭv thē), p, my only strength and stay,forlorn of thee, whither shall I betake me, where subsist?
Paradise Lost by John Milton
.

Monday, September 5, 2011

Pseudonyms


Sometime ago I whinged about Facebook insisting that all accounts be opened with real names and that Young Werther wasn't a real name. Hmmm...

Looks like Google+ is going the same way. Is it fair that I have to use my real name and identify myself. Some argue that it's the right way to go as FB and Google+ are social networking sites. Maybe, I do have something to hide and no intention of linking my drunken activities, blog confessions and opinions to my LinkedIn or FB account (that are populated by workmates and family).

After all, you wouldn't befriend Tom, Dick or Harry (unless Harry's got HRH preceeding it), similarly, you wouldn't accept any invite from Young Werther on FB or any other social networking site... would you?

In the stone "type" writer age, writers used nom de plumes. It's a well established precedent, so let us secretive b*stards be!

3 comments:

Cinderella said...

If I wanted everyone to know my real name, I wouldn't be able to blog about anything interesting at all. Ugh. Why put yourself out for everyone to know intimately know all of your personal business? I think not.

YW, we need to take our billions and buy a 30 acre private island together in a mild climate with an azure sea, complete with butler, housekeeper, chef and team of gardeners and a personal assistant to send out the birthday and holiday cards. And computer access to amazon.com for our library.

PFFFFBLTTTT to facebook and blogging.

If I am forced to unmask, I'll have to find another way to have fun. Gack. I'm not a social person at all - blogging is the way I like being social best. Urk.

Young Werther said...

Cinderella, with the GFC, we no longer need billions. We can EACH pick up a Greek island for a song :)

Cinderella said...

Ha-ha:)!