Forlorn.of.thee (fa'lo:n ŭv thē), p, my only strength and stay,forlorn of thee, whither shall I betake me, where subsist?
Paradise Lost by John Milton
.

Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Racist? Never.....

We've had an expatriate manager accusing Aussies of being racist, vehement denials from various pollies followed with accusations of the guy being sour grapes.

Unfortunately, we were made made to eat humble pie when thousand of Indian students demonstrated against racial violence directed against them. Now we have this research from Prof. Leigh at the Australian National University who found that found people with Chinese names are much more likely to be knocked back for a job interview than applicants with an Anglo-Saxon name.

In Sydney, Chinese jobseekers needed to send 92 per cent more job applications than those with an Anglo-Saxon background, while Middle Eastern applicants needed to post 80 per cent more resumes.

Shame...

3 comments:

Loving Annie said...

People always discriminate in one way or another, be it beauty, race, religion, sex, you name it...

Young Werther said...

Annie, that's is true. Human nature, some truth in the saying birds of a feather flock together.

But what gets me is the self righteous denial, sweeping it under the carpet :(

syrie said...

My mum was telling me about this. She thought that I should change my maiden name (which is Thai) to her maiden name (Anglo-Saxon) on my cv to ensure I didn't get overlooked. I was shocked at the thought of having to do something like that. I hope I never have to.