Forlorn.of.thee (fa'lo:n ŭv thē), p, my only strength and stay,forlorn of thee, whither shall I betake me, where subsist?
Paradise Lost by John Milton
.

Monday, June 1, 2009

Funny this.....

"I would say that Australia definitely is different [from] the US. In many ways it was like stepping back in time... But my point is that [racism] does exist and it's got to change because the world is full of a lot of people and most economies have to take advantage - including Australia - of a diverse set of people."
Sol Trujillo - ex CEO Telstra

"I think there was a bit of sour grapes in them actually,"
John Brumby - Victorian Premier

and in today's press 1,164 articles

Indian students in Melbourne, Victoria protest over race attacks... Ethnic tensions after a spate of recent attacks on Indian students - Australian Broadcasting Corporation

Finally.... in damage control mode

"I speak on behalf of all Australians when say I say that we deplore and condemn these attacks,"
Kevin Rudd - Prime Minister

6 comments:

Loving Annie said...

It's sad when people do things to hurt other people - racism is one of them. But religion is another, and so is politics. Why must man always find a way to separate himself from his fellows rather than finding common ground ?

Young Werther said...

What's really sad is the denial that Aussies have an inherent streak of racism in us.

We see it everyday in outbursts by Cronulla's captain Paul Gallen and off-the-cuff comment by the famed Chk Chk Boom lady.

Lavender said...

(((I must keep my mouth shut, or my foot will likely end up in it!)))
But I couldnt come over and NOT say anything, so 'owareyaMate,alright?

Young Werther said...

LOL, Lav, would love your opinion no matter what!

I can imagine Sol sniggering "I told you so."

Lavender said...

Hey Mate! Had at look at that weed pic, and although Im not 100 percent
certain, it looks to be a calla lilly, (which is actually not a lily)
They escaped from cultivation and are often found as pests these days.
If digging out, get as much of the root as you can as they will sprout again from roots left in the earth.
Also, if Im even right about this, keep the sap off of your skin. Some callas will irritate and some callas are poisonous!! eeep!

No matter what it is, is sure isnt a native!
Stay Warm!

Bren said...

In the states, I see ethnic groups hating on each other and have often wondered why. A boss pointed out to me that people who vie for the same jobs, tend to hate each other.

There are still a lot of problems but now I am seeing it as more of gang related hate. However, not always.

The south has come a long way from the days before the civil rights movement started but I am here to tell you that we still have a long way to go. I used to think it only happened in the south that white and black disliked each other so much but what is happening now that we have a new president is proving me wrong. It is nation wide.