Forlorn.of.thee (fa'lo:n ŭv thē), p, my only strength and stay,forlorn of thee, whither shall I betake me, where subsist?
Paradise Lost by John Milton
.

Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Livin' down under

I love living in Australia... well, mostly.

It's big, it's friendly, the weather in Sydney is fabulous.

But to be an Aussie means having to vote. Since 1911, one must be enrolled on the electoral roll. From 1924 voting is compulsory for everyone on that roll. Failure to vote means having to turn up in court and cop a fine. Refuse to pay that fine and you could be thrown in jail.

To be on the electoral roll also means you can be summoned for jury duty. I've copped it sweet, criminal case expected to last 3 weeks from 30 March.

Employer has kindly begged the Sheriff's office that I be let off, otherwise there goes this quarter's financial reporting.

... or I could always turn up in jeans with joint hanging from my lips mumbling "Peace man! That pig is guilty as hell."

4 comments:

Loving Annie said...

I think it's great that everyone has to vote. Voting means you have a choice, even if the choices suck.

And the best way to get out of a trial is as soon as you are in the room, glare and roll your eyes at everything the defense attorneys say. They'll NEVER pick you.

But if it's a murder or a rape trial, then don't. Play it straight, hope they select you for the jury, and make sure justice is done, YW.
It could be YOUR friend or family member who'd need someone smart on the jury...

Trixie said...

You know what? I haven't voted in 21 years. Yup, I've only ever voted once in my life, when I turned 18 (well, 19 when it was time to vote) just because I was now of the age to do it. The next election..I didn't...and received a fine of $100 in the post. I never paid for it, plus I moved towns..they never seemed to find me again. And many years later...I found out Medicare thought I was dead...even though I had been making contributions for years! I guess because I wasn't voting...one hand of the government thought I had died! The other hand was taking my money though! I have never bothered voting in England...I guess it's because I feel I don't have the right to...even though I have been living here for 13 years!

Young Werther said...

Hi Annie. Guess I'll never find out what the case was about.. I was excused :)

Trix, you haven't voted?? Not even for the Jedi party. The last couple of times, I've been putting my mark on the weird parties, The No Aircraft Noise Party and the like :)

syrie said...

I was fined last year cause I was out of the country and hasn't told them. Congrats about being excused. There was a horrific murder trial in Vancouver last year with a pig farmer serial killer. The trial went for almost a year - a long time for the poor jury not to mention the emotional scarring from hearing and seeing all the gruesome evidence.