Forlorn.of.thee (fa'lo:n ŭv thē), p, my only strength and stay,forlorn of thee, whither shall I betake me, where subsist?
Paradise Lost by John Milton
.

Friday, February 20, 2009

Necessary Change?

Being a Catholic is not easy, there are more 'thou shall nots' than 'thou can'. It's no surprise to read that Father Peter Kennedy has been sacked as the Catholic priest of St Mary's parish in Brisbane for allowing women to preach, for blessing gay couples, for denying the Virgin birth and for claiming that the Church is dysfunctional.

But then, it's never easy doing anything and sticking with it, be it a diet, exercise regiment or ones beliefs. Too often, you have to choose, black or white, never gray. One is either a Catholic or one is not. You believe or you don't. You can't be a Catholic and claim that Jesus was a mere mortal and that Mary was not a virgin.

Pope Benedict was none too happy with House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, a Catholic who supports abortion rights. She said on NBC - Meet the Press "The point is, is that it shouldn't have an impact on the woman's right to choose."

On several issues, Obama's Democratic administration is at odds with the Vatican. Issues like abortion and stemcell research.

Would acceptance of the right to abortion, gay marriages, women priests be viewed as corruption of the fundamental beliefs, metaphorically speaking, a crack in St Peter's rock?

And I tell you that you are Peter,
and on this rock I will build my church,
and the gates of Hades will not overcome it.

~ Matthew 16:18

Is there a growing confrontation directed against the Magisterium, that threatens the very foundation of the Church*?

Necessary change or evil corruption, what say you?

* Taken from Act of Consecration to the Immaculate Heart of Mary (for Religious and Laity)

4 comments:

Lavender said...

I dont think I should comment, not having been a Catholic ever....but then again, I cant belive how the Catholic Church can condone all those pokies at the Catholic Club - and even call it "The King of Clubs" !!!!
Im a flippin Atheist, and it offends me!!!!

Young Werther said...

You've been to the Catholic Club? I haven't ;)

Tricky one Lav, should I stop supporting the Sea Eagles if I don't like George Rose? Should people stop following a certain religion if they don't agree with the beliefs? Do the views represent the vocal minority or a silent majority?

Lavender said...

Religious folks tend to drag me around trying to convert me - but I am not easily swayed! LOL

Sea Eagles? Mate, you make my brain hurt! Hull? Sydney? Sea Eagles?

LOL

;)

Young Werther said...

Indecisive. Better not mention the Eels (was following Sterlo in Hull)...