Forlorn.of.thee (fa'lo:n ŭv thē), p, my only strength and stay,forlorn of thee, whither shall I betake me, where subsist?
Paradise Lost by John Milton
.

Thursday, October 2, 2008

F*cking depressing

Just landed on my desk, this month’s “Flagship edition” of the BRW. BRW used to be called Business Review Weekly in the good old days when they published the magazine weekly. Cost cutting has resulted in it being called BRW and it’s now a monthly affair.

I digress. Why am I depressed? The whole magazine is devoted to Australia’s 100 richest people aged 40 and under. These are the guys and girls who made it on their own without Daddy’s or Mummy’s help. Some names are familiar, most not. Some inspiring, some not.

Let’s take Carolyn Creswell, worth $20 million. At 18 she started making muesli by hand. She managed 80kg that year. Now at 34, she sells 40 tonnes of the stuff to keep Aussies happy, healthy and regular.

Or electrician Nathan Tinkler. He’s 32. A few years ago he was working as an electrician down a mine. He borrowed a million bucks and in 2006 bought a bit of land with some coal buried deep. A year later, someone offered him $275m for it! OK, it's in shares and cash. But in May this year, he sold those shares to Indian conglomerate Mittal for $166m. He's sitting on $441m cash!

And me? I’ve been sitting at my desk all this time, aging and getting nowhere. If only I were a bottle of wine *sigh*

4 comments:

Loving Annie said...

It's hard when it looks so easy for them to have done it....
Ingenuity is the mother of invention - maybe you'll think of something awesome and in 20 years...

Young Werther said...

I would no need for money in 20 years..

Annie, can I interest you in a bottle of Aussie Hair Restoration Lotion? :)

Lavender said...

@#*Dammnit! I hope its true that misery loves company, cause this stuff bums me out too. Lucky &#@tards.

Young Werther said...

Lavender, can I interest you in some vitamins :)

Here's some DIY get rich schemes for ya :)

Read Here